Thread: Configure Package Management in Ubuntu

Configure Package Management in Ubuntu

Hi,
    I have laptop running on Ubuntu. I need some information on Ubuntu configuration. The terms comes under it is Password superuser and Package Management. At last update Ubuntu. I am not familiar with Ubuntu settings but what should be the most optimum settings here. Also what is the minimum system requirement for Beryl in Ubuntu. I need to install one but the same after installation is not working here. The last thing I want to ask that in my clients system how can I enable Sharing folder between Windows and Linux. Thanks in advance.

Re: Configure Package Management in Ubuntu

Under Linux, there is a special user called root. This is the root account and it has absolutely all the rights on the system. For security reasons (to avoid running a malicious program), the root account should be used only for operations related to system configuration and once done, the user "root" must be disconnected. To simplify the use of Linux, Ubuntu tends to hide the user "root" (by assigning a random password). Thus, most operations are systems through graphical utilities and the sudo command. Enough binding duty tapper sudo before every command system. We will therefore use it only once ... to set the password for user "root" - sudo passwd. After entering this command, enter your user password. Then enter the password to use for the root account confirm the password to use for the root account. If you have not made a mistake in the input / confirmation password, the root account is accessible again. It is again possible to log in as root. To do this in a console, you must type the command: su - and enter the password for the root account.

Dr. V Guest

It is necessary to present the package management in Ubuntu (for those in their first installation of Linux based on Debian) it will be necessary install various packages. Ubuntu is Debian based and uses the same system management packages (installing software, managing dependencies) than Debian (files. Deb). It is possible to manage packages using either the GUI, or command line. In graphics Mode the software used for package management GUI mode called Synaptic. Synaptic is very easy to use. In command line mode under all distributions, like Debian, there are two main controls for package management - apt-cache - Research package (executable by all users) and apt-get - for installing, removing, updating packages (usable only by root).

The minimum system requirements for Beryl is graphic card a minimum of 512 MB recommended. If with VirtualBox then 512 MB minimum or 1 to 2 GB recommended (2 GB minimum for Vista). In any case, Linux is able to run on all types of processors, from newest to oldest. The minimum recommended depends mainly on the use you make of Linux. For a full integration of Windows inside of Linux, it remains for us to configure file sharing between the two systems. File sharing will be using VirtualBox (and not through Samba, for example). In VirtualBox, select the virtual machine > open interface Settings then Shared Folders. Click on Add new shared folders. Then select the directory to share and specify the share name. Before starting the virtual machine, if you have not already done so, follow the procedure to install the system on VboxGuestAdditions invited. Start the virtual machine. Then once Windows starts, open the File Explorer. Go to select Tools > Map Network Drive. Choose a letter for the drive. Enter fields in the File, enter: \ \ vboxsvr \ <name> (eg \ \ vboxsvr \ shared).