Thread: Any substitute for Task Manager ?

Any substitute for Task Manager ?

Hi,, i am a Windows Xp user and new to this forum.. I have some problem with my Windows Task Manager. It happens many times that my Task manager get disabled, i don't know how. When i install a fresh copy of windows, it works for some days and later it get disabled. Neither i can open it from the taskbar nor by Ctrl+Alt+Del. However, i have installed antivirus on my system, i don't know how pc gets infected and Task manager stops working. So finally, i fed up of it and wanted to know is there any substitute of Task Manager that can work on Windows Xp ? Please let me know... I appreciate your help...

Re: Any substitute for Task Manager ?

Yeah, thats true. If your pc get infected with any virus, Task Manager will be disabled. Anyways, fortunately there is a nice substitute for the same, its Process Explorer. The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you'll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you'll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.

Download Process Explorer

You can also download and install AnVir Task Manager that controls everything running on computer, removes Trojans, speeds up computer, and tweaks Windows. It also has some interesting features like:-

• Monitor processes, services, startup programs; replace Task Manager

• Get rid of spyware and viruses that your antivirus missed

• Enhance and tune up XP or Vista

• Speed up your PC and Windows startup

Download AnVir Task Manager

I was also facing some similar problem with my Xp computer. So to get rid of annoying task manager, i simply installed DTaskManager. It has three different ways to close a process, as the "termination request", the standard "forced termination" with dialogue tolerance, and the "forced termination" of any type of process, bypassing all permissions (it can also terminate running system processes). DTaskManager allows you to suspend and reactivate a process (as in Linux). This is useful, for example, to temporarily suspend a task that uses system resources when you don't want to terminate it (such as a DivX encoding process).

Thanks a lot for the quick and valuable help friends... I think that is all i needed from you here. All three options are just cool. Anyways, i'll download all three and the one that can work fine on my system. I really appreciate all your helps. Keep it up...