Thread: how to burn a CD in Linux

how to burn a CD in Linux

Hi,
    I have query here. I have a laptop which is working on Linux operating system. I have a Windows machine too. But due to virus I system is corrupted. Now I have to burn a disc. The data is available in the USB drive. I can copy paste the data in Linux machine but how to burn the same. I have not seen any application in it which supports disc burning.

Re: how to burn a CD in Linux

Above all we must at least understand how data are organized on a medium like a CD or DVD. A detailed explanation is provided on the website how it works. In short, the data format depends on the medium considered and various hardware vendors who have participated in developing the in practice standard. The data contained on a CD or DVD, so in a format specific to the medium and the target platform, are handled directly, creating and copying. The raw data (blocks 0 and 1) form a coherent picture says ~ ISO standard system files. Create an ISO image from a CD (other than an audio CD) by using the dd command.
    Code:
    % Dd [if = file] [of = file] [conv = sync]

Here is a procedure to create a ISO image file in a Linux. First you can use ISO image with mkisofs command. The command is
    Code:
    % Mkisofs-R-r-J-V 'LABEL'-o. / Backup.iso / home / username
    . The explanation of the command is, R stands for RockRidge to preserve long file names and permissions and Linux-r generates an image you see on all systems, despite the permissions enabled by the extension RockRidge-J activates the Joliet extension for long filenames under Windows -- V 'LABEL' label of the generated image-o. / backup.iso file will be generated in which the ISO image / home / christophe the tree that you want to create an ISO image. To get a idea about the size use this command :
    Code:
    % Du-sm / home / user name

Here are some command which you can use to verify a ISO file. In this way you can check the reliability of the file. The command for the same is % Mount-o loop-t iso9660-o ro. / Backup.iso / mnt / cdrom. In this -o is a loop option to mount an ISO image from the inner loop i.e. (loop)-t iso9660 format of the ISO image, -o ro is the ISO image mounted in drive only, read-only. / bakcup.iso is the image ISO / mnt / cdrom mount point of the image, the directory must exist. Second thing you can also use cdrecord to burn a disc. The command for the same is % Cdrecord speed = X dev = Y, Z, W-v-eject-data. / Backup.iso. Here X is the burn speed and dev = Y, Z, W location of the burner.

If you want to burn a multi session disc in Linux then use the below procedure. For the 1st session copy the ISO image to a data CD or create an ISO image burn ISO image with option-multi for cdrecord. The command for the same is -

Code:
     %  cdrecord speed =X dev =X,Y,Z -multi -v -eject -data ./backup.iso
    For the 2nd session, before creating the ISO image, it is necessary to know 2 parameters.

Code:
     %  cdrecord dev =X,Y,Z -msinfo number1,number2
    Achieving ISO image by specifying 2 parameters number1, number2 and the device associated with the drive (eg / dev / hdc)

Code:
     %  mkisofs -R -r -J -C number1,number2 -M /dev/hdc -o .
    Burn the ISO image with option-multi session -

Code:
     %  cdrecord speed =X dev =X,Y,Z -multi -v -eject -data .
    For creating ISO image as a second session, third session burn the ISO image without the option-multi -

Code:
    %  cdrecord speed =X dev =X,Y,Z -v -eject -data ./image_2.iso