Thread: Windows 7 + Windows Virtual PC + Windows Server 2008 R2 does not work

Windows 7 + Windows Virtual PC + Windows Server 2008 R2 does not work

I just installed Windows Virtual PC on my Windows 7 machine. My work deals with Windows Server 2008 R2 and so I want to have this system on my computer.

As you can see in the attachment that says the program / machine that my processor does not support 64-bit. But it does? Windows 7 installation is 64-bit.

Can someone explain me is there some problem with my Windows Virtual PC, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 installation?

Re: Windows 7 + Windows Virtual PC + Windows Server 2008 R2 does not work

I have searched a bit online and it looks as though Windows Virtual PC does not support 64 bits systems regardless of whether you have 32bit or 64bit system installed originally. The only option is to switch to other solutions such as VMware Workstation, but it costs the part when ..

Microsoft does not have support for 64 bit guests in Windows Virtual PC. It has never been supported.

Options are:
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V
    VMWare Workstation

I have also tried using VMware Player. I then installed Windows Server 2008 R2 but when I activate Hyper-V under the "Features", I got the same message as I have mentioned in my previous post. So I don't think that Windows 7 is having any problem. Can you look on this and explain me?

But what are you trying to do exactly? Are you going to create virtual computers in the virtual PC? It works the rather poor. Vmware server must have the ability in theory, but I have not tested this out properly.

Sounds like you should run a separate PC with Windows 2008 Server R2, if you will carry with visualization and Hyper-V.

And if this really is job related, so you should know that it could cost you an extra computer, since they only give you a license.

Yes I'm doing this. I have separated servers for this, but wanted to test a bit small on the computer at home also and not only in the office.

Then you should try Vmware Server, it is free and will work with what you are looking for. But you should have a powerful CPU and lots of RAM for the virtual PC for this to work. It is always recommended not to run virtual computers inside a virtual computer, it is a recipe for trouble.