Thread: Desktop locks system up

Desktop locks system up

Hi,
    For some time now I have a problem when addressing my desktop in XP.

After a normal boot, when I click any icon on my desktop or click the start button, the desktop freezes up and the system hangs.
    I can reset the system by logging off myself using the taskmanager.
    When logging off it appears there is a problem shutting down CTFmonitor and after that Explorer. After loggin on again, everything seems to work allright, untill I click an icon on the desktop again.
    The workaround (not 100% guaranteed) : either click and move any icon on the desktop, or start explorer.

Is anyone familiar with this..???
    I would be very grateful... this behaviour is utterly annoying...

regards
    LodyJ
    Last edited by LodyJ; 10-11-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Re: Desktop locks system up

Did you change (Install/Uninstall)any Hardware or software in this PC BEFORE the Freezeup issue started? Update MS and drivers. Try going to msconfig and click the "services" tab and check "hide all microsoft services" and then unchecked all the one's that remain and see if that works...

how much ram you have ?
    in task manager see any unknown process is running or not as such problem happens due to some viruses and maleware so scan pc with malewarebytes and good antivirus.

First, remove any floppy from the machine. It's a common error - when you reboot, the computer will try to boot from it, not find an operating system and halt. Desktop Lock is a powerful computer security software, it locks your pc to prevent others from accessing your private documents or resources, after your computer was locked by Desktop Lock, people will not be able to access your documents, browse your computer, or use programs on your computer. he best first step to take is to attempt to boot in what's called "Safe Mode". Safe mode disables a number of operating system components, possibly avoiding the component that might be causing the problem.

Hi you all,

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

I'll try to reply to them below. :

From Lillebror
    >>>First, remove any floppy from the machine.<<<
    Hi little brother,
    I have removed floppydrive since the invention of USB sticks...
    Tusen tak anyway
    ---------------------------------------------------------

From Timon :
    >>>how much ram you have ?<<<
    4 GB with a /3GB switch in boot.ini
    ---------------------------------------------------------

From Calvin K :
    >>>Did you change (Install/Uninstall)any Hardware or software in this PC BEFORE the Freezeup issue started? Update MS and drivers. Try going to msconfig and click the "services" tab and check "hide all microsoft services" and then unchecked all the one's that remain and see if that works...<<<

I did have problems with a IDE DVD RW unit, which I have now removed.
    I did think it might be related to that, but didn't really have any evidence for that.
    All my other drives are SATA drives : 3 x HD's and 1 x DVD RAM drive.
    At odd moments the system also failed to see the first two SATA drives and therefore couldn't boot. So I removed all drives and just ran the C-drive, but the "desktop"-problem was still there.
    I got myself a new HD too, copied the C-drive to it... but the problem still prevails... <sigh>..

I also run updates regularly, and the only thing I haven't done yet and I just now checked is the bios and there's one newer version than the present one. I'm not sure though if I want to install that...
    I have had experiences changing good running bios's on other machines in the past....
    Any other suggestions...?

Oh yes.. and of course thanks to all of you... it's nice to have some backing during "hard times like these" ...<grin>.....

LodyJ

"desktop just freezes" what kind of a freeze, mouse won't move, start menu and icons dissapear, nothing will load or what?Desktop freezing usually occurs when you have multiple tasks running on the same computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin K View Post
    "desktop just freezes" what kind of a freeze, mouse won't move, start menu and icons dissapear, nothing will load or what?Desktop freezing usually occurs when you have multiple tasks running on the same computer.
    Hi Calvin,
    Mouse cursor can only be moved, nothing else.
    My "disappearing" taskbar stays down, won't rise up, start menu is not working.
    This I can recreate without any application running.

Any other icon on de desktop is not accessible.
    If any application was running, it's not accessible anymore.

The only thing that works is the keyboard, which I use to call up the taskmanager.
    I don't have to boot down completely to off state, logging off and on again is then enough to get things working again...
    And if it does... it 'll keep working 90% of the time.
    In 10% it freezes again after trying to address a desktop icon.

cheers
    LodyJ
    Last edited by LodyJ; 11-11-2009 at 10:08 AM.