Thread: Create partitions in Linux

Create partitions in Linux

Hi,
    I have a computer which has two hard drives each of 160 GB. In the first one I am using Windows Vista. In the second drive I want to install Linux. I am not so familiar with this operating system. I need information on creating partition on Linux platform. What type of file system is preferable to for running this operating system. I need to clear idea about creating partition on Linux. The type of file system, the hard ware configuration, etc. This topic is not limited to just creating partition but to understand the concept.

Re: Create partitions in Linux

Installing an operating system such as Linux on a PC touches the fundamental data structures of the hard disk and is thus a very sensitive operation. It is therefore necessary to know some basics about it. Installing multiple operating systems often requires to allocate a partition for each system, because operating systems do not generally understand the format of scores of other systems. It is also sometimes necessary for a given system, define multiple partitions, which will be used for specific purposes. For example, Linux runs much better if we assigned a score of "swap" (also known as "swap partition) to store data bit that is used in memory when it needs more memory that it is physically installed on the machine. Similarly, it is possible to create multiple partitions to separate user data programs, which facilitates the safeguards on the one hand, and ensure greater security of data during the maintenance of the system of secondly.

On a Personal Computer, each hard disk can be divided into four partitions called "primary". The position, size and type of these scores are recorded in the first sector of hard disk, which is often called the Master Boot Record ( "MBR" for short). The MBR contains only four entries for the definition of partitions, where up to four primary partitions. The partition type is a numeric code that indicates the operating system can use and its nature (swap partition or file system for example). For example, Linux uses mainly two types of partition: swap partitions (number 82) and partitions for file systems (type 83).

Data in hard drive are stored on magnetic surfaces of plates spinning, above (and below) where the head read / write disk moving radially . The data are written in concentric circles on different platforms due to their rotation under the read heads (unlike vinyl and CD, it is well here in circles rather than a spiral as gramophone / writing remain at a fixed position during rotation of the plates). We call these circles of tracks . Therefore each head access to a runway and one at a given instant, on which sectors are recorded. Like all heads are fixed (they move together when one of them must change track), the different tracks different platforms are accessed simultaneously. All of these tracks, located at a given radius for all platforms, is what is called a "cylinder". The hard disk parameters are expressed in terms of number of heads, cylinders and sectors per track.

In addition to the primary partition table, the MBR contains a small program called the bootstrap loader which loads the first sector of a primary partition. This area is commonly called the "boot sector" because it contains the program can load the operating system. The partition whose boot sector is loaded by the bootstrap loader is called the "active partition". There can be only one active partition at each moment of the primary operating system. Generally, the program stored on the boot sector of a partition is designed to load the operating system is installed. However, for some operating systems, this program is very advanced and can run other operating systems installed on any other partitions or other hard drives. Such programs are called "boot manager". Linux has two managers of very powerful boot: GRUB and LILO. Windows NT, 2000, XP also have a boot manager that can run other operating systems: NTLDR. Windows Vista comes with its own boot manager, bcdedit, which is relatively difficult to use.