Thread: Windows 7 doesn't recognize usb flash drive

Windows 7 doesn't recognize usb flash drive

Hello, i need to urgent transfer some date to my 8gb iball flash drive in windows 7, but it doesn't seems to recognize it, where on my friends pc which is having windows xp it works really in a proper way. What can be the reason its not working in windows 7? i haven't made any changes in windows 7, my previous usb drive was working fine but i don't have that usb drive to test now. Please let me know what can be wrong with this flash drive in windows 7 which is working fine under xp. Thanks for any help.

Re: Windows 7 doesn't recognize usb flash drive

Are you sure that usb drive is working fine under windows xp? Have you restarted your system once after connecting USB drive to it? Might be a good idea to restart the computer, even though windows 7 doesn't really require the need to restart, it's probably a good idea, just to make sure everything registers correctly. If it's still not working, then I suggest fixing the other issues you have with your computer.

Are you having only windows 7 in system? or you having multi-boot with some another os? When did you install Windows 7? Just open Disk Management and check is there a yellow triangle and explanation point? Check in Device Manager if there are any yellow triangles and explanation points or downward pointing arrows in any of the items listed, expand each one to be sure. And give us more details on it.

As you said it is working under windows xp then i'll advice u to first make its backup on xp system and then in windows 7 under disk management format it completely, if its not showing in disk management then try all USB ports, sometimes it happens with me that falsh drive doesn't works at front usb ports but works fine on the back panel usb ports, just try might it will work.

carrythomas Guest

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing such a nice information.But any other usb ports are recognize or not?

It’s possible you have software related problem. First try the usb points on the back of your pc before trying to double up USB. The ports on the back of the pc have a greater power output. If reinstalling software doesn’t help, I think there could be a problem with the motherboard.

It’s possible you have software related problem. First try the usb points on the back of your pc before trying to double up USB. The ports on the back of the pc have a greater power output. If reinstalling software doesn’t help, I think there could be a problem with the motherboard.
    If it's motherboard faulty it cant work on windows xp..Did u change to another USB port? Check another Flash drive with that same port,

Quote Originally Posted by dhanubaba View Post
    If it's motherboard faulty it cant work on windows xp..Did u change to another USB port? Check another Flash drive with that same port,
    Yeah, thats right, Onboard USB controllers once faulty, cannot be changed. All the best...

carrythomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    Yeah, thats right, Onboard USB controllers once faulty, cannot be changed. All the best...
    Hi,
    Whenever you sholud become change your USB.Then it has easy going to changing the portable USB.