Thread: Buying Windows 7 Ultimate Retail or OEM

Buying Windows 7 Ultimate Retail or OEM

I would like to buy windows 7 for me where my brother suggest me to get windows 7 ultimate version due to some more features and better for gaming. While searching for product i found that Windows 7 Full version comes with OEM and retail where price difference is surprise so Which should I purchase ?
    Thanks

Re: Buying Windows 7 Ultimate Retail or OEM

RTM it mean: Ready To Manufacture, wholesale is the final, marketable .For OEM copies, there is no support from Microsoft apart from the available downloads and knowledge base articles. The OEM version also needs activation which is different and it is mainly targeting to the individual machine. for more check here http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1267791.htm

windows 7 is definitely enabled with RTM OEM SLP key and password protection Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) as a result Windows Update is 100% functional and everything else protected by WGA!. To check, start > right click on computer > properties. A Windows activation you have "Windows enabled" . For those who had made a false activation with Toolkits Windows 7 1.8, it is necessary to remove it before applying a real activation with key OEM SLP RTM.

I read a lot about the differences between OEM and RETAIL operating systems. the OEM can be used only once, and if the OS need to be reinstalled, you need to buy another OEM disk. The commercial version may be relocated to provide more , once it is installed on the same computer or another, I am preparing to build another tower, but I do not want to buy OEM if it's only good to install on the same computer .Could someone please clear this up for me which version to buy?

The Microsoft software and peripherals are offered to OEM integrators equipment on favorable terms in return for compliance with certain rules of distribution. By opening the packaging of a pack, the integrator undertakes to respect the rules or terms specified in the license for Microsoft OEM system manufacturers printed outside of the pack.

OEM Rules
    Since the 1st September 2005, New OEM rules are in place. The aim is to give you more flexibility in the acquisition and sale of products Windows XP and Office 2003

The main changes are:
    Packs (single or 3) are intended to be marketed to PC integrators.
    If the package is opened, the software must be installed on a PC track.
    The pack itself can be sold (and sold) only, kept closed, with no obligation to association with one or more components Hardware.

OEM versions do not function in update and request the assistance of a professional for an optimal configuration.

OEM means this: Windows 7 OEM copies are dependent on the motherboard; changing the motherboard and running the operating system on the upgraded computer constitutes a violation of the license agreement, as the hardware configuration is now detected by the platform as a new machine. In such a scenario Windows 7 will behave as if it were pirated.
    If customers sell their OEM computer, they will have to also include Windows 7 with the OEM licenses it came with initially (the software is useless (read pirated) running on any other machine than the one it shipped within the first place). If an OEM computer dies (if the motherboard is fried for example), the Windows 7 copy/license dies with it.

The Retail version means that you can transfer the OS to any system at any time, mind that you only have one active at a time. Hence the increase in the price of the Retail Version.