Thread: Boot linux server without a monitor

Boot linux server without a monitor

Hello, I want to boot Mint 7 without screen and need to control it via network. Ok, the scenario is : I installed Linux Mint on a machine that will act as a FileServer. I would like to control only through a virtual office, but this is impossible if no monitor is plugged into the server at boot time... Is there a solution for this idea : Boot linux server without a monitor

Re: Boot linux server without a monitor

Try to check out the settings of your VNC server. You can notice the difference between the screen output here. The default settings which need to configured is as follows. If you are trying to boot with cable connected then configure 1024x768 & if the cable is disconnected the 640x480.

The most simple easy way here if you can use to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg with the most available resolutions. This will then boot the system in the most first available resolution. The same worked in mine which gives out a resolution of 800 x 600.

The settings for the same can be configured from xorg.conf. Just ignore the EDID frequencies. This frequencies detects your monitor and gives out a proper output display for the cable connected monitor. This cannot be a successful solution but works sometimes. The code for the same is default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=nox and puppy pfix=nox.