Thread: Audio CD doesn't work with OpenSUSE 11.1

Audio CD doesn't work with OpenSUSE 11.1

My computer : gigabyte motherboard, 2.8 GHz processor, 2 gb ram, dvd burner. OpenSUSE 11.1 installed. KDE. There's a strange problem : the DVD player plays DVD correctly, but when it comes to a music CD it won't play. By music CD i mean Audio CD. The have already added my username in audio, cdrom, disk, floppy, games, video groups but still i have the same problem. But My other computer with same configuration as this computer works fine... What may be the problem? Please help friends...

Re: Audio CD doesn't work with OpenSUSE 11.1

I had the same problem a long time ago. I did not know what might be the reason for this. So i switched to Ubuntu and it worked very well. This problem in my case would occur only with the CD which are copy protected. I have not found a solution yet... IF anybody has a solution please post, would like to do a dual boot with Ubuntu and OpenSUSE 11.2... Thanks in advance...

Audio CD, unlike the DVD, are NOT a computer format. In general, if you open an audio CD with a file explorer can not see the actual tracks but files of 1 kb each, which are a fictional representation of the audio track so you can manage it through a music player. This is also why we must always extract the music to an audio format which is understandable by the computer and which if we wishes to save them on the PC. Like MP3, wav, ogg, etc.

By default, I always use banshee to test the sound playback on a computer that I configure. In this case, Banshee does not "see" not the audio cd. But it reads the audio content on the hard disk very well. Thanks Baker, the explanation is very clear. But on my computer, always read audio CDs before... Do i need to install some extra packages? I do not get any error. Please help...

Some times, copy protected Audio CDs require audio cable. An Audio cable is a three wire cable which connects to the sound card directly from the CD/DVD drive. This audio cable is sometimes necessary. I think you should have a look at your case and see if this cable is installed. I hope this could help...

I am not quite agree with you on that point. Long ago that the CD player can read the music without the audio cable. If unable to read music is simply that the reader does not like the audio cd. I have exactly this case with the audio cds. The only solution is to import or rip the music from the audio cd and then play it.