Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Which one should i use from Alsa and pulseaudio?

Operating Systems

Old 07-11-2009

Which one should i use from Alsa and pulseaudio?

Hello, I am a bit lost with the sound in opensuse 11.1 or 11.2. Some times the sound just works perfectly like something was never wrong with it. But at times it does not work at all. Can someone give me a comparison of ALSA and pulseaudio which can be understood by a layman like me understand? I would like to choose one software which i can use all the time and i don't want to switch the softwares all the time. Some applications on my computer work wih pulseaudio and some work with ALSA. Which compels me to make alsaconf as default for some time and Alsa as default the time. Which one should i use from Alsa and pulseaudio?Any help!?

Old 07-11-2009

Re: Which one should i use from Alsa and pulseaudio?

Is your sound device detected by OpenSuse properly? Does it show the correct model? If no, you must update your drivers, search for the drivers on the sound device manufacturer's website. What kind of sound device you have? I mean is it the onboard sound device or you have plugged in a sound card on some expansion slot? Which model? May be these details could help...
Old 07-11-2009

My sound device is integrated on the motherboard. My motherboard is ASUS P5N7A-VM. It has hardware codec Realtek ALC1200. Don't know what else is necessary, if anyone could check it, would be much of help... Thanks
Old 07-11-2009

Try this : Open terminal and type the following commands one line at a time :
Code:
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/libs/openSUSE_11.1/ multimedia
zypper install alsa alsa-docs libasound2
zypper rr multimedia
And then depending to your kernel type these commands :
Code:
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update/ Multimedia 
zypper install alsa-driver-kmp-default 
zypper rr multimedia
Hope this helps...

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,