Thread: Install OpenSUSE on eeePC

Install OpenSUSE on eeePC

I bought a eeePC 1000H with Windows XP installed on it. Working damn slow, so i though of installing linux as it would be running smooth and free of virus. So my question: IS it possible to install OpenSUSE on eeePC or will my eeePC work well with OpenSUSE? If it consumes too much memory knowing that I cannot swap back to windows as i'm not planning for a dual boot. Any help is appreciated...

Re: Install OpenSUSE on eeePC

yes it is possible, but not as your eeePC has no optical driver you will have to make a live-usb and the boot from usb device. Then install OpenSUSE on your eeePC. Also make sure your USB ports are working and your usb drive is usb 2.0... Hope this helps...

The Eee PC does not have a conventional hard drive, but a solid-state drive which has a finite number of write cycles. So far nobody seems to know how long the built-in SSD will last, but to be on the safe side you should take care to reduce unnecessary writes to the internal disk. This means:
    * no swap partition
    * mounting the partition(s) on the SSD with the option "noatime" set. Usually, whenever you read a file on disk, the time of last access (atime) is updated in the inode. With "noatime", this doesn't happen.
    * no journaling filesystem
    If you keep these things in mind you are ready to go...

Thanks for the info. Can anyone tell me what all things will be required to prepare the OpenSuse for my eeePC? I have never used the Usb boot for installing an OS. This is the first time i will be booting a computer with USB. Thanks!

You will need the following hardware in order to install OpenSUSE on eeePC :

* EeePC 701 4G
    * USB flash drives depending on the method
    * a second machine to prepare the needed devices
    The USB boot image for OpenSUSE for preparing the bootable USB drive. You can download the image from the official site or from here.