Thread: Linux on Lenovo will void my warranty?

Linux on Lenovo will void my warranty?

Hello, I have a lenovo Y550 and i'm pretty happy with it, I has vista pre-installed.Well my question is that i searched around on the internet and what I read at some sites was that installing Linux may be risky for me to lose my warranty. Is is really true? Will Linux on Lenovo will void my warranty? If someone could confirm whether this is true or not. If its true, i will have to wait for a year and wait until my warranty expires else in the case of a problem, i will not get the service from Lenovo. Also if i install Linux, can i play games like Call of Duty [1 and 2 not the latest ones]. Which linux do i go for? I have used many distributions but have lost the touch from past one year. What do you guys think about Ubuntu? Shall i go with that? Please help... Thanks in advance...

Re: Linux on Lenovo will void my warranty?

Your choice of using the Ubuntu Linux distribution is not bad. Infact it is the most user friendly and fast then other linux distributions. There are still some problems with Ubuntu 9.10 since it has barely come out. I will rather advise you to use 9.04 that it has improved a lot with time. Also Ubuntu is one of the noon-friendly and free OS. All the best...

I think you may void your warranty if you install any other operating system and remove the pre-installed OS. But i think you will not loose the hardware warranty. Only your license of Windows OS will get void. So as far as you are not concerned with Windows OS on your Lenovo laptop, you can install Ubuntu without worries...

Thanks for your quick replies pals, and one more help, How do i play games on Ubuntu Linux? Any ideas? Also are my games compatible with windows games on linux kind of stuff? Do i need a high end graphics embedded into my laptop to play games? Please help...

@ Salvatore : The fact that it has recently released out does not mean it is less stable than the previous release. Final releases are not beta so they are checked thoroughly. Especially if you take a Kubuntu, the 9.10 is better than 9.04 for kde4 and the bugs which still exists, are in progress for fixes. I think you should try the new Kubuntu that is Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. It has a lot of features and is easy to setup...

If you want a light weight Linux operating system which is a ubuntu derivate, You can go with Xubuntu. This is a Ubuntu release with XFCE as a desktop environment. It has all the features and is prefered for Laptops and Low system configurations. Also to play games on Linux Operating System you will have to install Wine. To know more about wine have a look at this topic : Wine Installation on Ubuntu 8.10