Thread: Cannot backup Windows 7 data

Cannot backup Windows 7 data

Recently, I have updated my system of Windows Vista 64bit to Windows 7 64bit. I tried to do backups and it failed. I don't know what went wrong but i received the message of following error:
    The backup application could not start due to an internal error.
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service. (0x80070424)
    (1) There is a "Windows Backup" in Services.msc.
    (2) "wbengine" folders are missing from the Control Set folders in Hkey_local_machine
    I Cannot backup Windows 7 data, can anyone help?

Re: Cannot backup Windows 7 data

I also have the same problem. I fresh installed Windows 7 Professional x64, with all the controllers and drivers along with updates of Windows. I also tried to correct the problem on my own different times, still no wbengine folder. It is as if this folder was never copied in my computer during the installation of Windows. Any way to solve this?

Verify if the service for backup of Windows is running and check if it is set to "Manual". If no, then change it to manual and click on start to start the Windows backup service. It can be stopped and restarted anytime.Now reboot your computer and see if Windows backup i running on your computer. I hope this helps!

Thanks for trying to help, but Windows backup service is already set to manual. and when i click on start it won't start. If i try to take a backup i again get the same error. Can anyone suggest me some other workaround? I also checked my system but the wbengine folder is missing on my computer too. If this folder is so important why did Windows setup did not install it on my computer? This is too frustrating!

Open regedit and see if your computer has the following value :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wbengine
    If it doesn't exist then no problem, but if it exist then delete it. Now download this file. rename it to wbengine.reg Once done double click it and click yes. Now reboot your computer and check if the Windows Backup service works. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Open regedit and see if your computer has the following value :
    If it doesn't exist then no problem, but if it exist then delete it. Now download this file. rename it to wbengine.reg Once done double click it and click yes. Now reboot your computer and check if the Windows Backup service works. All the best!
    I tried it doesn't work for me... I also tried going into the services and set the backup service to manual but still it doesnt work. Do i need to update windows 7? Will i get the fix in the update? Please advice...

You can try updating your system. But first make sure do create a system restore point. There are times when updates do screw your system. At such time system restore helps...