Thread: Windows 7 cannot see workgroup computers

Windows 7 cannot see workgroup computers

Hello friends, I received my copy of windows 7 today. I installed windows 7 on my desktop computer, and everytihng is working fine. But i cannot access the network. Windows 7 cannot see workgroup computers. I do not know how to access the network computer. I have been using Windows XP these years and Windows 7 is all new. I do not know how i can get my system on the network. Please help.

Re: Windows 7 cannot see workgroup computers

You must enable Network Discovery. Click Start >Control Panel >Network and Sharing Center, click on Change advanced sharing settings. Now enable the option. This will get your computer to discover other computers on network. You need to reboot the computer so that the changes take effect... Hope this is useful...

Try to open the network computer directly. Sometimes not all computers are shown in Network. You can try to ping the computer on the network by its ip address and see if it is reachable. If its not reachable see what error you get while pinging the network computer. Post the error and lets see what could be done. Press windows key + R and type cmd and press enter. Then in command prompt type : ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Here xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx refers to the ip address of the network computer.

What type of network do you have? I mean how do you get the ip addresses? Do you use the router to connect to the internet and DHCP is configured on the router? Or you use a switch to connect to the other computers? Also check if the LAN drivers are installed in the computer. Open device manager and see that you don't have a yellow mark against your LAN card in the list. If its yellow you need to install the LAN drivers.

Thanks for all the help friends, When i ping the network computer i don't know if it reaches the network, I get a message like : Destination host unrechable. what may be the problem? I don't think my computer is connected to any computer on the network. I also tried if i can connect to the internet, but that too fails, Internet explorer says could not connect. I don't know what could be done. Please help...

In this case you should check the physical network connectivity. First, check if the Lan drivers are installed properly, Second check there is a light on the LAN card indicating connectivity. Then change the network type to Home group if you have selected and other type. Do not select public else network service will be disabled and you will only be able to access the internet. I hope this is of some use...