Thread: Unable open Regedit, Msconfig, Task Manager

Unable open Regedit, Msconfig, Task Manager

Hi,

When I started my computer yesterday, since then I am unable to open Regedit, Msconfig, Task Manager. I tried to copy the Task Manager to another folder, no dice. When I try to run Task Manager it just opens for a second (or not at all). Same problem with msconfig or regedit from the start menu. So something that I can download to scan my system. I think it could be a virus? How do I detect and remove this virus?

Re: Unable open Regedit, Msconfig, Task Manager

You might have disabled Regedit, Msconfig, Task Manager. To enable it, go to Start-Accessories-command prompt. Then, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. Then click the + sign on the user settings. Then again, click on + Administrative Templates. Then click the Start menu and Taskbar. Then search for "Lock the Taskbar". Then double-click and select "Not Configured", click OK. Once again we find "Run from the menu on the Start menu and do a double click. Select "Not Configured" and click OK.

It sounds like a rootkit virus, but without any opening, any other sites. It helps to detect many persistent rootkits including AFX, Vanquish and HackerDefender. First download "rootkit revealer" from Microsoft or from Sysinternals and run, these things can disable normal anti-virus and anti malware. Then go to Start> Run and type msconfig and click OK, look at the beginning of "tab and uncheck the name of the process itself, if it appears there. The register must be cleared, but normal programs should be able to do that when the program has disabled offenders.

Try malwarebyte. Viruses, spyware, and trojans, attempt to hide their presence from spyware blockers. These things can disable recognised anti-malware programs and system tools like task manager, Regedit or Msconfig so you may have to download process explorer or killprocess to stop the process.

If your antivirus is unable to detect it then try kaspersky online scanner to scan both normally and in safe mode the whole system. A quick fix is to rename the files and run them by using MS-MVP Doug Knox utility. This utility creates copies of MSCONFIG, REGEDIT job and task manager by creating copies of the actual file folder C: \ EmergencyUtils.