Thread: Need help on Linux Pratition

Need help on Linux Pratition

Hi,
    I am about to create a machine with dual boot: Windows 7 and Linux (probably Ubuntu). Linux I used to office, music, a little video. Windows 7 will be for games . I plan to partition my drive into 4. Here I need some opinion on the following. First Partition Linux system and Linux programs. Then System Windows 7 and Windows programs. My Documents (to see this partition to use both Linux and 7). Linux Swap, 4GB.

Re: Need help on Linux Pratition

Do you really need a swap partition. A Linux system works even better if it has memory, and report efficiency or if the memory is linear.Except for certain modes. Regarding the shared partition, Windows does not know that the hard drive is shared by other operating system. But I do not think you can access Linux files on Windows. It will show you data or folder as per the Linux platform.

Everything depends on your system. Personally, I have Gentoo at large compilations, 2GB of ram is not enough. The consequence is that the memory is not enough. So if you have 2GB of RAM -> 2GB swap. For file sharing Windows / Linux, it is necessary that you must have good drivers for Windows ext2/ext3. It is necessary of your system to lie stable. My Documents cannot be access because it comes under configuration directories.

I do not know enough about Ubuntu to see what size is recommended for /. From my side, on my system, my root partition (/) is of 15GB. I saw broader concept to keep multiple versions of a package because / var is on the same partition and that there are compilations, sometimes with my 8GB (old install). Create a / home partition separate root. Provides for large size. You can also create another ext3 partition for "My Documents". Finally, Linux, a link to your partition reserved for "My Documents" and it's over. In summary, Linux, your preferences stored in / home / <user> are well separated from your documents, then Windows will have it when you said "My Documents" is under such a partition, you will have access to your data without seeing all directories / files in Linux preferences.