Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 backup error 0x80070424

Windows 7 backup error 0x80070424

After i upgraded my system to Windows 7, i tried taking back up of the system got an error message somewhat like this;
    The backup application could not start due to an internal error.
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service. (0x80070424)
    (1) There is a "Windows Backup" in Services.msc.
    (2) "wbengine" folders are missing from the Control Set folders in Hkey_local_machine.

please hep me in making my system error free.

Re: Windows 7 backup error 0x80070424

Go to Services box, which show the services currently running on your system, by typing Services.msc in the Start > Search. now see if the Windows Backup Service is Started and set as Manual. If it is not, then make the service Manual and then click Start to start that service. This will solve your problem i suppose. Let me know if the problem persists.

If you tried Starting the service in manual and still the problem continues, then i advise you to follow the steps mentioned below;
    1. Locate the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wbengine", export it to any folder or desktop as a REG file(backup) and then delete the key.
    2. Download the file by clicking here and rename it to wbengine.reg.
    3. Now, double click this file to add the value to the Registry, and restart your system to see the results.
    Hope this will solve the error.

I tried doing these steps, but i could not locate any wbengine.reg file in the Registry. So i downloaded the file you provided and simply dragged the file to the Registry folder. This solved the problem for me... Thanks for the help guys, Now my backups up and running.

Hi,

I have the same problem in my Windows 7 Ultimate and I would like to know the full path to drag the reg file to registry. What is the complete folder path to drag it?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Quote Originally Posted by rc_martensen View Post
    Hi,

I have the same problem in my Windows 7 Ultimate and I would like to know the full path to drag the reg file to registry. What is the complete folder path to drag it?

Thanks,

Rodrigo
    Registry files are .reg files. You need not copy them to a specific folder. Just double click it and it will merge with the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by ADIEL View Post
    After i upgraded my system to Windows 7, i tried taking back up of the system got an error message somewhat like this;
    The backup application could not start due to an internal error.
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service. (0x80070424)
    (1) There is a "Windows Backup" in Services.msc.
    (2) "wbengine" folders are missing from the Control Set folders in Hkey_local_machine.

please hep me in making my system error free.
    ------------------------------
    I experienced the exact same problem. I have W7 64bit Professional.
    To resolve it I had to boot W7 from the HD, then insert the W7 Upgrade installation CD and do a Windows Repair.

Cooincidentally, after the Repair, my Windows Install was no longer activated. I had to use the telephone Activation procedure to reactivate.
    The online Activation procedure just kept rejecting my Licence key.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris- View Post
    If you tried Starting the service in manual and still the problem continues, then i advise you to follow the steps mentioned below;
    1. Locate the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wbengine", export it to any folder or desktop as a REG file(backup) and then delete the key.
    2. Download the file by clicking here and rename it to wbengine.reg.
    3. Now, double click this file to add the value to the Registry, and restart your system to see the results.
    Hope this will solve the error.
    I downloaded the wbengine.txt file, renamed it wbengine.reg and double-clicked on it. It just brought up Notepad with the .txt file content. I'd expect the merge, or incorporation into the registry - that's what I usually experience. Obviously I did not get something right!

Sorry that I had not posted an update earlier.

The loss of Windows 7 Backup service turned out to be a System Mechanic error. IOLO quickly fixed it in a subsequent release..

All is well now.

cool Re: Windows 7 backup error 0x80070424

Quote Originally Posted by user659 View Post
    Sorry that I had not posted an update earlier.

The loss of Windows 7 Backup service turned out to be a System Mechanic error. IOLO quickly fixed it in a subsequent release..

All is well now.
    I'm still a bit confused here. I DO NOT have System Mechanic on my PC. Did System Mechanic from IOLO cause the problem, or did it fix the problem once the newest version was used? If it did not cause, but fixed the problem, does the free version fix the problem?

Ironically my new external hard drive has two system services from IOLO. I'm wondering if those caused the problem which might be fixed by downloading new drivers. It turns out that Win Backp worked fine to another external hard drive which does not use IOLO technology. When I got the new drive, I transferred my existing Win Backup files to the new, larger hard drive. Although I am not sure, the next backup to the new drive may have been when the Win Backup failures started to occur. I could switch back and do the backups on my old drive, but I don't know how to accomplish that as I cannot change settings - it gives the error. Maybe I could fool it by a switch the drive letter assignments so that it would backup to the old drive.

I tried the System repair as you did, but it did not fix the Win Backup problem.
    Que Sera.
    When you had to re-activate the product, did you try to use the product key? If so, that was, perhaps the wrong value. If you look in Control Panel, System, it shows a different product key under the Activation info. Perhaps this is what was needed to re-activate Win 7 without calling Microsoft.

System Mechanic 9 caused the problem. At the time a huge number of users reported it. IOLO quickly fixed their error and issued a new release.

That was sometime in November. Google it or go to:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...c-cf2675831476

Finding the System Mechanic cause is fine, but that was not the source of my problem. I still need a solution. Can you clarify your original fix credating the wbengine.reg? I downloaded the wbengine.txt file, renamed to .reg but that file just opens in Notepad when you double click it. I need to get my problem solved and you have the method that worked. What am I doing wrong? Don P

Sorry. My memory is hazy as to what was done did to fix it.
    I think that I called Microsoft support because my Windows 7 system was new and support was still available at no cost. The rep took over my PC remotely and did the deed, whatever it was.

The latest on backup error 0x80070424. I broke down and paid Microsoft Support to help me fix this problem. After three chat sessions in which they had me run a lot of troubleshooting, they could not come up with a solution. Finally they suggested doing an upgrade re-installation of Windows 7; this would allow me to keep all my data and programs intact.
    I did this in relatively short order. I was then able to "Change Settings" for my backup (Folder/Files and image) and ran backup. Again the Folders/Files backup portion ran with no problem (just like before), but when the image backup started, I got a new error message: 0x8007048F -backup location not found. I then discovered that for whatever reason, Win explorer showed the external hard drive was not running! I had done nothing whatever during the backup and don't understand why it occurred. Miscrosoft doesn't know about this one yet - I expect a callback from them soon (they promised that). Contrary to my experience before, I could still go into "Change Settings" or perform other backups. I could do either the Folder/Files backup without image backup and then image backup itself - No Problem! Go figure! Let's see what Microsoft says about this. I'd be totally happy if I could do scheduled Folder/File and Image backup. That might be possible with some script run from Task Manager, but I don't have any experience with this type of thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast