Thread: Install Adobe Acrobat Reader in Ubuntu 9.10

Install Adobe Acrobat Reader in Ubuntu 9.10

Hello friends, I have a lot of ebooks on my computer which i used to open with Windows XP without any problem, I want to install Ubuntu 9.10 on my system. I want to know how to Install Adobe Acrobat Reader in Ubuntu 9.10 so that i can read the ebooks which i have got from my institute. I cannot afford to loose these ebooks. Thanks for any help...

Re: Install Adobe Acrobat Reader in Ubuntu 9.10

Download the Acrobat reader from Adobe's website. Run the installation on your Linux Computer and after the installation completes, you can directly open the ebooks which are in pdf format. Acrobat reader will automatically start loading your ebook.

Thanks for your Advice, I already downloaded the adobe's acrobat reader, But the file which i got is an .exe file. As far as i know its a Windows file. I don't think linux OSes are capable of running windows application. If i run this file on Ubuntu i don't think it will install this acrobat reader. I'm confused. I visited the site twice, but each time, i got the windows file and i don't get the option to select the operating system. Can anyone help me??

Ubuntu linux is capable of running windows softwares with the help of a software called Wine. Wine creates a Windows API Layer which helps the windows application install in linux OSes. I think you should give wine a try. It is very easy to install wine. Just make sure you are connected to the internet when you try installing wine. See how to download and install wine from this topic : Wine Installation on Ubuntu 8.10

You must install linux version of adobe reader. You can download Adobe reader from adobe's website. You were offered windows version of the files because the website detects which OS are your currently using and provide you the installer for the same OS. You can download adobe reader from the website by visiting it after installling Ubuntu or you can click on this link. All the best!

I don't think you need to download any software to open pdf files in Linux. Ubuntu is well equipped with all the necessary softwares like adobe reader, office suite and other frequently used important softwares. Just install Ubuntu and open your files by double clicking, your files will be automatically recognized by Ubuntu and will open your files with appropriate program. Have fun...!