Thread: Cannot boot in Windows 7 after installing XP

Cannot boot in Windows 7 after installing XP

I recently installed the Windows 7. It was working properly in standalone OS, but after that i installled XP, creating a seperate partition. Now when i power on my system, it directly starts loading XP. I tried changing the boot.ini file, but failed. I cannot see the boot file of windows 7 in System start up. I want a selectable option wether i want to load Windows 7 or XP. Please help me on this..

Re: Cannot boot in Windows 7 after installing XP

Abigail, when you installed Windows XP over the existing Windows 7, it just installed the XP on the primary partiion, which removed your Windows 7 bootloader(or the Boot Configuration Data Component as it is usually called). Just follow the simple steps below to recover from the problem.
    1. Download the EasyBCD utility and install the utility in Windows XP.
    2. Now recover the windows 7 bootloader by using the EasyBCD. Procedure similar to recovering the bootloader of Windows Vista. In case you are still up with some problems. Do post your reply here.

Dr. V Guest

The bootfiles for Windows 7 must still exist in the partion you created for it, but they are unused, as the XP installation doesnot recognize them, which is the case when you install a newer OS on an older one. Now to make the XP recognize that there is a Windows 7 installed too, use the EasyBCD, which allows you to add boot entries to XP. Hope this will help you.. but its always advisable to install a newer system on the older one.

I did this some time back and want to share something i came across. I downloaded the EasyBCD, installed it in XP, but my problem was it didnot run on XP. So what i did was run a simple utility on the command prompt cmd bootsect /nt60 drive:, and forced the bot to load Windows 7 on restart. Then i installed the EasyBCD on the Windows 7 and went through with adding XP to the bootloader file. so atlast my system started to dual boot. Hope this information helps you. Do post if you have anything else.

I have a probelm as Abigail and now i use the EasyBCD, still now i'm not OK.I want a selectable option wether i want to load Windows 7 or XP.Help me please!!!!