Thread: Run MagicJack on Ubuntu 9.04

Run MagicJack on Ubuntu 9.04

Hello pals, I got a magicjack today. I have Ubuntu + Windows XP dualboot. I was about to ditch windows but i saw that Magic jack doesn't work with Ubuntu Linux. When i checked it with windows i saw that it ran itself the moment i plugged it in. So i think its Windows Only compatible. any work around for running MagicJack on Ubuntu 9.04? Thanks in advance...

Re: Run MagicJack on Ubuntu 9.04

MagicJack is a component along with the software. MagicJack doesn't support Ubuntu or any linux flavor. MagicJack supports Windows and Mac only. I don't think there is any way to use MagicJack with any Linux OS...

Quote Originally Posted by Patio View Post
    MagicJack is a component along with the software. MagicJack doesn't support Ubuntu or any linux flavor. MagicJack supports Windows and Mac only. I don't think there is any way to use MagicJack with any Linux OS...
    I would suggest you to use VirtualBox and use MagicJack with Windows XP installed on VirtualBox. This may be the only way which will let you run MagicJack on a Linux Distribution...

How about using Wine to run MagicJack? Did you give it a try? I think you should try installing wine. Wine is a Linux software which provides Windows API [Application Layer Integration] so that you can run Windows programs on Linux OS. I hope this will help you get a bit success...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    I would suggest you to use VirtualBox and use MagicJack with Windows XP installed on VirtualBox. This may be the only way which will let you run MagicJack on a Linux Distribution...
    I already tried using Windows XP in VirtualBox. No problem until Windows XP is installed. Then when i plug my MagicJack into the USB port, it wont run. Then i checked it with my usb flash drive. Then i came to know that USB devices aren't detected by Windows XP in VirtualBox. Please help...

There is some option to enable USB device in VirtualBox guest clients. Its something like Guest Additions. You need to enable USB devices from System settings of VirtualBox too. Try it out and post back if you have any problem...