Thread: Ubuntu splash screen error [usplash error] in Karmic Koala

Ubuntu splash screen error [usplash error] in Karmic Koala

I have Ubuntu 9.10 and i don't know what is wrong with my machine. I get Ubuntu splash screen error [usplash error] in Karmic Koala while booting. The error says :usplash: Setting mode 1152x864 failed usplash: Using mode 1024x768. I don't how to solve this problem. Can anyone help me? I'm not too much into linux and i know less about it. Thanks!

Re: Ubuntu splash screen error [usplash error] in Karmic Koala

Did you upgrade your Ubuntu from a lower version of its a clean install setup? Sometimes, there are problems when a system is upgraded from a lower version to the next version. The main reason why the problem can occur in your case is, ubuntu 9.10 has ext4 file system by default which works flawlessly, if you upgrade your system, the file system will be ext3. This may be once problem...

It is always recommended that you do a clean install of any new linux version available. This is to maintain the system integrity by not letting the newer version of the OS to compromise with the older version and this way an OS can perform better. Also if you upgrade, some drivers are likely to cause problems. In your case the display driver can be a problem... Hope this helps you too...

I think its the display drivers that is causing the problem. Do you have any graphics card like nvidia which needs restricted proprietary drivers? I think this is what is causing the problem. The usplash screen will show the error ans then will continue to boot. Is this what is happening? I had this error too, i downloaded the latest version of the driver and removed the older version and this fixed my machine.

This is a known in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala when you upgrade your system from a lower version with restricted drivers installed. The work around for this problem is posted by Solomon. Remove the existing drivers and download the latest drivers and install them. You can have a look at Ubuntu's Launchpad bug center for this bug : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sh/+bug/451252

I will have give that a try to. I will install the latest drivers and post back. But do you guys recommend this? Or shall i proceed with Clean Install of Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala? I will first try the driver method and if that doesn't work, will opt for a clean install... Thanks for al your help...