Thread: Install Google Chrome in Ubuntu?

Install Google Chrome in Ubuntu?

Hello people, I keep surfing the internet and in this process a web browser is needed. So i keep on using different web browsers and try them all. I have used many browsers till now. I however had no luck in trying google chrome web browser as it is for windows only. Is anyone aware or linux version of google chrome? I want to try it out. How can I Install Google Chrome in Ubuntu? any help is appreciated... Thanks in advance...

Re: Install Google Chrome in Ubuntu?

There always is a work around if you are a Linux user! I would suggest you to install Google Chrome in Windows. Use Virtual Machine Softwares like VirtualBox and install Windows on it. Then on it you can try not only Google Chrome but many other softwares that are only built for Windows Operating System. I Hope this help you...

The other best way to install Google Chrome with less or nearly no pain is by installing Wine and then installing Chrome using Wine. Wine is a free and open source implementation of the Windows API which allows you to run Windows applications on any Linux distros. In this post you will see how to install the latest version of Wine... Here you can run all the windows based softwares using wine without actually installing Windows...

I know about these facts. The reason i don't want to use these stuffs is that i want to run Chrome in my Ubuntu Machine natively. These causes less errors and bugs as the system this way is fully compatible. I think i have no other alternative. But as far as i know, Google's Chrome project was open source, if i can find its source, i can build it for Ubuntu or may be i am wrong. Anyone knows anything about this stuff? Or am i mistaken? Thanks anyways...

According to wikipedia "Chromium is an open source web browser which Google Chrome is based on. The project's aims are to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web. The Google-authored portion of it is released under the BSD license, with other parts being subject to a variety of different permissive open-source licenses, including the MIT License, the LGPL, the Ms-PL, and an MPL/GPL/LGPL tri-license. It implements the same feature set as Google Chrome, but has a slightly different logo. Versions of Mac and Linux Google Chrome based on Chromium were released to the development channel for Google Chrome on 4 June 2009. According to the developer documentation, 'Chromium' is the name of the project, not the product, and should never appear in code in variable names, API names etc. Use 'chrome' instead." So the project is really an open source project. I think you can get the source code on the bay that the pirates use. I hope you are getting what i am saying...

If you are already using the newest Ubuntu that is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, you can follow the below method to install Chromium on your system. Chromium is open source and you can legally install it on your system to test it. Open terminal and type :
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Now in the source list file at the bottom add these lines :
    Now you have the source for Google's Chromium Project. Now in terminal you will need to type the following command to get the GPG key to make your source authenticated :
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0xfbef0d696de1c72ba5a835fe5a9bf3bb4e5e17b5
    Once you are done with it, Update your aptitude package manager so that chromium is detected :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Now when the update finishes, you are ready to download and install Chromium Browser on your system :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
    If you get any error about dependencies, you can install Chromium from Synaptic Package Manager which will install all the dependencies along with Chromium...
    Have Fun!!

Everything installed well, but i cannot find chrome or chromium in Internet. Where to run it from? Whats the command to run it from terminal? Can anyone help..!!? Please help, i just can wait to get my hands on chrome...

To run Google Chromium go to "Applications > CrossOver Chromium > Chromium" Go ti running? All the best!