Thread: Weird error with Windows XP

smile Weird error with Windows XP

So we have a few thousand computers on our network, which is in transition from Novell to Active Directory.

About two weeks ago all of our users and departments shared folders were moved over to AD. Since this has occurred, a dozen or so of our client machines (winxp sp3) are having issues with mapping one or two drives that previously would map correctly.

This is related to the machine itself, as all users who login to that particular machine are missing the shared drive.

If a user goes to another machine they get their drives no problem.

Our mapping is done with Group Policy, and I've noticed a couple of machines with the "Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy Objects" (event ID 1030) as well as an Event ID 5789 "Attempt to update DNS Host name of the compuer object in Active Directory failed" The following error occured "the parameter is incorrect"

Am I incorrect to think the mapping issue plus these errors in the system and software logs are not related?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could resolve this? Thanks

Re: Weird error with Windows XP

These problems are caused by a bad context menu handler. IPX/SPX is troublesome on 95. Go to Network in the control Panel and remove the bindings of IPX/SPX on the Lan card and bind NetBEUI. A context menu handler is a shell extension handler that adds commands to an existing context menu (Example: cut, copy, paste, print, Scan with Norton etc). A poorly coded context menu handler may be causing any of the above symptoms. As context menu handlers can be added in different areas (file class, folder, allfilesystemobjects, HKCR\* registry keys), it's a difficult task for an end-user to pinpoint which shell extension is causing the problem.

Re: Weird error with Windows XP

thanks I'll look into this further.