Thread: No sound in Ubuntu 9.10

No sound in Ubuntu 9.10

I have recently installed the ubuntu 9.10 karmic on my Toshiba Satellite A100-003. The installation didnot have any problems. now, everything's working fine.. except for sound. Whats the use of karmic.. now if i am unable to play videos and music with it... Is there anyone who has faced a similar problem and has a solution to this? Any help will be appreciated...

re: No sound in Ubuntu 9.10

If you have just installed the new kernel. please check if the sound is muted, and also check if it detects your sound card. Run the following command in terminal :
    Checking if sound is muted :
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Checking for sound card :
    Code:
    aplay -1

I tried this, and this is what i got :
    Code:
    alsamixer
    0 no mixer found
    Code:
    aplay -1
     **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    now what am i suppose to do..? Please Help!

Did you try using the hardware drivers. If you did not try this, go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and let it run. Hope this will help you. If any more problem, do post back...

Re: No sound in Ubuntu 9.10

Hi fellows,
    I have ASUS laptop (F3F), on which I have installed the "Karmic" recently. I used to have the same problem that you already face.
    Just check :
    System ---> administration ---> Hardware drivers
    If you have verified the Modem driver recently, try to "disable it" - - you will have "remove" command. Click it, and the sound will come live again.
    I tried it, and it worked.

Good Luck

Have you tried rebooting the system? It worked for me. The Output Channel under PulseAudio Volume Control should be unmuted and selected as "Fall Back". Most likely you just don't have the sound driver installed. Go to system-->administration-->hardware drivers and make sure its not waiting to be downloaded there. Or you could go to Dell's website and see if they have any linux drivers available for download.

Quote Originally Posted by BasBak View Post
    Hi fellows,
    I have ASUS laptop (F3F), on which I have installed the "Karmic" recently. I used to have the same problem that you already face.
    Just check :
    System ---> administration ---> Hardware drivers
    If you have verified the Modem driver recently, try to "disable it" - - you will have "remove" command. Click it, and the sound will come live again.
    I tried it, and it worked.
    Good Luck
    I tried this and it worked. Thanks for the help, i was wondering i will have to wait for the next update... Thanks again...

Thank You BasBak, I can configure 9.10 now and report that driver. I had to reinstall 9.04 until I got the sound problem fixed in 9.10. Most of the things I do involve sound.
    Charger-Bear

idea Re: No sound in Ubuntu 9.10

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805-S274, I ran into the same problems when upgrading from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10; basically no audio and no WiFi (PCMCIA card). I got around the audio issue by disabling the internal modem's restricted driver; it was somehow messing with the soundcard listing. System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers -> remove the Smartlink software modem driver (who uses a modem these days, anyway!). I hope this does the trick for you