Thread: blue screen of death, help?

sad

Help! I have a Dell Dimension desktop running Windows XP, 3.0GHz Intel processor, hyperthread. It suddenly popped up the blue screen of death, a restart fixed the problem. While I was working online, it went to the blue screen again, and gave the following errors:

STOP: 0x0000008E, 0x00000000, 0x0809054A5, 0x C0000006, 0xF789E91C

Re: blue screen of death, help?

I believe a stop error is a driver problem. The last time I had one I ended up reinstalling XP. You could try booting up in safe mode. This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code. For that try out the following steps.
    Disabling the restart on system failure feature,Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery, click Settings. Under System Failure, uncheck the box in front of Automatically restart.

Hello Ayush, thanks for the reply!

If I understand correctly, I need to be in Windows to do the correction you mention, but I can't get in, it won't load. I tried reinstalling XP, and after it loads the drivers, I get the blue screen of death that stops the reinstall.

I can't get to the safe mode point. I can put in the XP disk, and get to the repair console, and that's it. Nothing I do there makes any difference. The disk checks out ok, I can go through the old DOS-like commands (most of which come back with "not valid" or "incorrect parameters". I have tried FIXBOOT, etc., but still the get no further.

What can I do at this point? If I misunderstood your post, and there's something I'm missing, let me know.

Thanks again for your response.

Dustman

This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true: One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed on your computer are faulty.The RAM configuration is incompatible with Windows XP.

Hello, Calvin K,

Thanks for the response. I have tried even just using 1 stick of ram that came with the computer (when purchased new). No change. I had upgraded the ram long ago, and it worked fine for at least 2 years.

I tried an old stick (not much used) and it didn't change anything except the amount of memory because it was a 256 stick instead of the 2 gig sticks I had upgraded to. The computer always had XP (bought directly from Dell) and the original ram was from them too, so it was the right type for the computer.

The upgraded ram was the same kind (professional upgrade). I am stumped. I turn on the computer, it brings up the Dell screen, goes to the Windows logo screen, and then the blue welcome screen and freezes. Every single time.

I have tried a different hard drive that is new and blank, I went to load XP and it starts going through the loading of the drivers, then the blue scrren of death comes up with those same error codes, and it cannot proceed.

I can bring up the recovery console, but nothing I do in there fixes anything.

Thanks again,

Dustman

did u check ur BIOS setting ??

Is ur HDD detected by BIOS ??

***there are chances for problem with the HDD !!

***or ur SMPS may be the problem if the HDD in not shown in BIOS ...

or just reassemble ur hdd and ram, it may work some time...
    Last edited by knightwarrior007; 02-11-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks, knightwarrior007,

It looks like it might be the hard drive. I will be trying a different one when I get a chance.

I appreciate the response!

Dustman

Dr. V Guest

Reboot your pc and into normal mode and windows will reinstall the NIC it may ask for a driver location point it to where it is ie CD or file somewhere. The Blue Screen of Death, or more properly the 'Windows stop message' occurs when Windows detects a problem or error from which it cannot recover. If your drivers are a self installing package then simply cancel the auto install and run the manual setup for the drivers. The operating system halts and diagnostic information is displayed on a blue screen. In newer versions of the operating system, the contents of the PC's memory are dumped to a file for later analysis.

Thanks, Dr. V (I see Calvin's Tiger there!),

I will give it a shot.

Dustman