Thread: Need Dual Core Patch my DualCore cpu crashed

Need Dual Core Patch my DualCore cpu crashed

Hello,
    I have just purchased an AMD 64X2 2.1 GHz so I reinstalled XP pro and Then I read that the dual core cpu need a patch so they are optimized XP.
    So I created a restore point and I restart and the reboot loop! I tried safe mode for the restore point but Same reboot loop. please help

Re: Need Dual Core Patch my DualCore cpu crashed

BIOS update? recognized by the motherboard CPU? Me I have a dual core (Opteron 165) and I installed the patch there was no problem except that suddenly the processor not functioning as a dual core in XP therefore impossible to patch

my motherboard was purchased the same day ... I have not tried to update bios . It recognizes that the cpu works in dual core in XP how. you do ctrl + alt + del and you go into performance. if there are two graphics then it is recognized dual core. if there is one then it is not

Computers that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features, such as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) processor performance states, require Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Additional updates are available to optimize performance and behavior on computers that are running Windows XP SP2. Without these updates, computers that are equipped with these power management-capable, mobile, dual-core processors may experience decreased performance or unexpected behavior. check here for more http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=896256

so it's a dual core in XP, but without the patch it will not works so well. The name of the patch is KB896256 .Install this update to fix a situation where your Windows-based system that supports processor power management features and is equipped with multiple processors, may experience decreased performance.This download is available to customers running genuine Microsoft Windows http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

i have go through that but the patch microsoft released is a 32 bit patch. I need it in Windows XP x64. also i heard that game performance may be poor on a Windows XP based computer that is using a dual core processor due to that is that true ?

Quote Originally Posted by zindin View Post
    i have go through that but the patch microsoft released is a 32 bit patch. I need it in Windows XP x64. also i heard that game performance may be poor on a Windows XP based computer that is using a dual core processor due to that is that true ?
    That is true. I run both XP x86 SP2+ & x64 with dual core CPU's, a quad core would be a waiste of the other two cores, and have never installed that KB and have never needed it but I wouldn't buy the new green drives for simular reasons. If they don't show you access rates and performance there is a very good reason why and I don't want my drive sleeping if required I'll make the whole system sleep. XP x86 SP1 or below has too many issues with video and other stuff so you really want to be at SP2 or 3+.