Thread: Dual-Boot Win7-Ubuntu

Dual-Boot Win7-Ubuntu

I have a 300GB HD, do i create 2 Paritions, one for Win7 the other for Ubuntu. Install Ubuntu first or Win7 first? does it matter. will i receive the same results? The version of Ubuntu will be the latest version out. 9.04 or whatever, and Win7 Ultimate. If i install Ubuntu first then Win7 will the bootloader for Win7 work it out, without having to going into Linux and mess with GRUB?

Re: Dual-Boot Win7-Ubuntu

You can injstall win7 first then try Ubuntu, Get copy of Windows7 then Partition your disk with gparted after that Install Windows7.now reinstall Grub and edit Grub to List Windows 7.

Re: Dual-Boot Win7-Ubuntu

Windows 7 after a clean install, it creates a small 200MB hidden partition to store the BCD store database. (similar files to boot.ini). This is where the bootloader is stored. I would check and see if your BIOS has an update available. This partition is currently invisible to you, so even if you added a linux boot entry in EasyBCD, easybcd thinks that it has written the files to the partition where the bootloader is, but it actually can't write there cause it's hidden (no drive letter given). If not you need to put Ubuntu within the first 137 GB of your hard disk or when you install Ubuntu create a separate /boot partition for Ubuntu within the 137 GB boundary. To fix that, open Disk Management, assign a drive letter to your hidden small partition (200MB of size must be), and then add a linux boot entry from EASYBCD again. This time it should work and you should be able to dual boot.