Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Mac applications quit unexpectedly

Operating Systems

Old 29-10-2009

Mac applications quit unexpectedly

Hi,

I recently got a PowerBook G4, and runs on Mac OS X 10.4. I knew it was not the latest version. My applications were wide open and all were well. I installed Mac OS X 10.5 the next day and had several attempts to install. When did I installed iLife. I have had many problems with my computer since I installed the programs. My iChat, iPhoto, email, address book, iCal and safari. Sometimes, in the case of Safari, I will be navigating to a page and the window will dissapear and I will get the message "Safari has quit unexpectedly" and it will offer me a button to reopen or to close. his is my first Mac computer and I'm not sure what to do. Also receive this message when I'm through software updates. I have to find them on the Apple website to download. Please help, I have no idea what to do. Thank you.

Old 29-10-2009

Re: Mac applications quit unexpectedly

Some sources have been known to be a problem with Mac OS X, specifically the Helvetica Fractions and Times Phonetic. If you install these fonts, use Font Book to disable them. To avoid this issue in Mac OS X 10.3 and later, use Font Book to turn off the Helvetica Fractions font.
Old 29-10-2009

If the Entourage database is being written to during a backup, the backup might be corrupt. Because of this requirement, backup Entourage with Time Machine per hour is not practical. You can create an automatic backup once a day for Time Machine to copy an Automator workflow and automate the process using an iCal calendar.
Old 29-10-2009

Try the following things :

1) Try clearing Safari's cache, rebuilding the Entourage database (quit after relaunching with Option-follow instructions as needed), rebuilding the iPhoto database.

2) Control the amount of disk space that is availalble. The optimum should be half to a quarter of the empty hard drive. If not, time for data backup or file and delete unneeded files to make space.

3) the preference files might be corrupted. Look in your user / username / Library / Preferences folder and find it. ".Plist" for these applications. Trash them and restart the programs.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , , ,