Thread: Windows XP SP 3 installation error

Windows XP SP 3 installation error

Presently i am using Windows XP Service pack 2. Yesterday when i was trying to install service pack 3 on the same machine, it gives me error message saying, "Service Pack 3 setup error. Access is denied." I tried to install many times but every time my installation got failed and this error stucked with my system. Could you guys please help me out of this ?

Re: Windows XP SP 3 installation error

Along with "Service Pack 3 setup error. Access is denied.", you can also get "Service Pack 3 setup error. Service Pack installation did not complete" error message while installing XP Service pack 3. Most probably this kind of error occurs when permissions for one or more registry keys are restricted in a way that prevents the service pack from updating the keys. Registry keys can become restricted by certain programs that change the system access control lists (SACL) in the Registry so that administrator accounts cannot alter them.

The service pack installer runs under an administrator account (User), and therefore cannot access restricted registry keys. If Windows XP Service Pack cannot update a registry key because it is restricted by another program, the service pack installation fails.

To fix these kind of problem, i'll suggest you to restart the computer, and then try to download and install Windows XP SP3 from the Microsoft Download Center. If a program is running with a locked file, restarting the computer may unlock the file. To try to unlock the file, exit all programs and restart the computer. Then try again to download and install the service pack.

If you originally tried to install Windows XP SP3 through Windows Update and it failed, download the full Windows XP SP3 download package from the Microsoft Download Center. After you download the service pack, try to install it.

To obtain Windows Service Pack 3 from Microsoft Download Center:-
    • Click Start, and then click Run.
    • Copy and paste, or type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    • sysdm.cpl
    • Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the three options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) option, and then choose the time that you want under Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them.
    • Click OK.

Sometimes an installation is unsuccessful because a previous operation was not completed. By restarting your computer, you close any pending computer functions and restart the process. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all open programs.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Wait until the computer finishes the restart process, and then log on to your account.
    4. Visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com to reinstall Windows XP SP3.
    5. Click Express Install (Recommended).
    6. If the computer meets the conditions for the Windows XP SP3 update, this update will be automatically selected.
    7. Click Install.
    8. Review and accept the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then follow the instructions that are provided during the installation process to complete the installation.
    9. Thats it !!

Yes Restart may be Solve ur Problem. Hope u download SP3 File from Microsoft site. Dont install Copies Download from another sites, it may be harm to ur PC.
    Are u installed from privilege user acc. that has administrator ?