Thread: wine installation problems on macports for OS X Leopard

Exclamation wine installation problems on macports for OS X Leopard

hello all,

i am currently in the process of installing WINE on my (entry level) MacBook. I do infact have MacPorts installed, and at first everything went well but then lo and behold I receive a message in my terminal window stating

Waiting for lock on /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-libice/work/.macports.xorg-libice.state

I am pretty sure this is not an error (although it could be), it has stayed in this state for quite some time and I am getting quite annoyed by this...

and although i feel like a total n00b by asking this: what is going on here?

any and all help is greatly appreciated...

thank you,
    Patrick "Arcanio" Gray

Re: wine installation problems on macports for OS X Leopard

The message states it wants to lock on /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org _release_ports_x11_xorg-libice/work/.macports.xorg-libice.state but that file may be in use or some handle has locked it already. I would recommend you to use Crossover. Its better then MacPorts and Darwine... Its a paid version but you can search it from the bay which keeps the pirates...

Re: wine installation problems on macports for OS X Leopard

Basically you need to make sure any dependency, and wine, all install built 32 bit. By default anything you compile in SNow Leopard will go 64 bit. If you upgrade to a new OS version (e.g. from Tiger to Leopard) or migrate to a new machine with a different type of CPU (e.g. PowerPC to Intel), you may get lucky and have your ports keep working, but in general, things will break. Macports you can substitute the normal configure and make and make install things with the Macports install or just do it all manually.