Thread: Sharing and Security options

Sharing and Security options

Hi,

Inwindows server 2003 when we right click on a folder and click on "Sharing and Security" option under it we can again see two tab" Sharing"and " Secutity"

but If we right click on a folder and click on "Properties" then in it their is "Sharing" and Security" tabs.

Pleas let me know what is the difference if we choose the option "Sharing and Security" and apply security and if we right click on a folder and click on "Properties...>Security" Are these are same ? and it is on the user either to apply security by choosing "Sharing and Security" or by right clicking the properties option and choose "security"

In shaort ,I want to apply security on a folder please let me guide the proper way to to apply on it.Thanks in advance.

mypass

Re: Sharing and Security options

When you are looking at the properties of shared folders, tabs are for sharing and security. On the same tab, you can name them and add user to who will be able to access that particular folder and what kind of access you want to give them. Security tab user set persmission too.

Security shows File/Folder Permissions.
    Sharing shows Share name/user connection limitiations, Share permissions, etc.

mikey Guest

Sharing Tab - Folder named "My Shared Documents" shared as My Shared Documents.
    Security Tab - Share with the User to whom you have given access, i.e Tony, Jim, Joseph etc..
    Permissions:
    Joseph - Full control (read, write, anything she wants)
    Jim and Tony - Read Only (can see files but can not modify)

There is basically no difference in both the options which you have mentioned. Both work in the same way.Do the following to set permissions for any file or folder:
    • locate the file or folder on which you wish to apply or set permissions.
    • Right-click the folder/file, and select Properties from the right-click menu.
    • Select the Security tab.
    • If you want to add a new access control setting then click Add option.
    • from the Access Control Settings, select the users, computers, or groups that you wish to apply, and click on Add button. Finally click on OK button.
    • You can remove the access control setting by clicking on Remove option.
    • You can also edit the permissions for any group. you can do that by selecting the user or group, and then check/uncheck the related check boxes which you can see in the Permissions pane.
    • Once you are done editing the settings, click on OK button to accept the settings and finally click on Apply button to apply the changes which you have made.