Thread: What is Source Manager in Synaptic packager of Ubuntu

What is Source Manager in Synaptic packager of Ubuntu

What is Source Manager in Synaptic packager of Ubuntu? I have installed ubuntu on my computer and while navigating through synaptic package manager i came across the source manager. I don't know much about ubuntu so i didn't touch anything. So can anyone tell me what is source manager? Thanks!

Re: What is Source Manager in Synaptic packager of Ubuntu

There Synaptic Package Manager is the one which manages the packages which you need to install, it is different then Update manager. Update manager Holds the updates available for the packages already installed on the system while Package Manager searches for you when you want to install a new Package [software]. Every software that is downloaded has a source. This is the use of source manager, that is to maintain the source.

Synaptic Packager Manager searches for the package that you want to install, There are some package which are available by default with Synaptic package manager, so the source manager will look for the source and maintain the same. If the source of any software changes, then the change is also reflected in Source Manager... Hope this helps...

Yeah, thats right, Also if you download and install some software which is not supported by default by ubuntu you can add its source in the source manager and the rest of the updates will be taken care of by source manager by periodically changing the source depending on the source if it changes...