Thread: Screen Sharing in ichat disconnects after some time

Screen Sharing in ichat disconnects after some time

Hello friends, i have an iMac and something is terribly wrong with it and i don't know what the problem is. I use iChat Screen Sharing and it worked like a charm and very smootly for about 3 months now. Suddenly it stopped working since a week and i don't know what to do about it. Screen Sharing in ichat disconnects after some time of connection. It connects for few seconds and then disconnects. Can anyone help me with it please?

Re: Screen Sharing in ichat disconnects after some time

I would recommend you to verify if your internet connection is stable and you have no downtime when you are using Screen Sharing. It needs a hell lot of bandwidth and i won't recommend you to use it on a limited bandwidth type connection. Also check the iChat log for errors. Do you find any? If yes, what is it regarding? Have you set bandwidth limit on any of the computers running iChat? If yes, then i would recommend you to set it as "None". Hope this is of some help...

Thanks a lot for taking some time to reply to my query. Ok, I have not set bandwidth limit on any computers, I had this working for a long time so there is some other problem. My internet connection is also alright as during this time other internet based services work, only Screen Sharing has problems, Also i checked the iChat connection it says connected. I checked the error log and yes i recieve one. It says something like disconnected after 10 seconds of inactivity. Now thats not true, I have the connection and it disconnects within 3 to 4 seconds. And for this time it works, so there is some activity. What kind of error is that supposed to be? Please help...

I think you must check with your Internet Service Provider, might be they have started blocking the VNC connections. This is possible, some ISP do block VNC connection ports and ports which are not known to any application. ISPs do this to avoid any hacking and virus attack on the subscribers as well as ISP's machines. If this is not the problem then try re-installing iChat, may be that could help...