Thread: Bootcamp Partition Error : Files cannot be moved

Bootcamp Partition Error : Files cannot be moved

Hi,

When trying to create a Windows partition using the Boot Camp Assistant on my Macbook Pro, I get the following error when trying to install BootCamp: Your hard disk is because some files Partitioned Cannot Be Moved, Backup disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again. Has anyone else encountered this? Any known solutions?

Re: Bootcamp Partition Error : Files cannot be moved

Have you installed the boot camp after a fresh copy of operating system? I have made dual boot images in the computer labs full of Intel Macs and never once had any of these issues. However, whenever I load Windows after Boot Camp and load a new image of our process is the script, so when we take the dual boot image, load both XP Pro SP2 and OS X on the drive.

I wonder if and once they have a lot of temporary files, a journal file in place, and various other junk files you get from only using the machine to receive this type of errors camp. Boot Camp and Windows have worked flawlessly for me.

If you have another hard drive (external or network, for example), you can move large files temporarily. Of course, this requires some knowledge of what files are the culprits. You can use a utility such as Disk Inventory X to determine the largest files on the drive and move those off.

You can also use a defrag utility to move files to the front of the unit. I know of no free program to do this, although attention that work is iDefrag. You should make full defragmentation which requires a restart. Even if you do not pay for it, the show is useful for showing a mapping of where the files reside on your drive, gives you an indication of how much moved.