Thread: Invalid Product Key error while installing Windows Xp

Invalid Product Key error while installing Windows Xp

I need some urgent help from you all guys. I am trying to re-install Windows Xp on of my computer but when i enter the product key, it gives me error saying that "The CD Key which you entered is invalid. Please try again."

I don't agree with this because i have also used it while installing Xp on my computer with the same cd and product key. I tried entering the Product key many times but still the error exist. Could you guys help me out in any way for this ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Invalid Product Key error while installing Windows Xp

I dont know what might be the exact problem because there are several reasons for this error. First of all possibility is that you have entered a wrong product key. If you receive an error message, type the correct product key again by using the number keys on the keyboard instead of using the numeric keypad, and then click OK. If you still receive an error message contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS).

Or try again after turning off the antivirus software. To do so, turn off the antivirus settings in the basic input/output system (BIOS) of the computer.

Here are some of the steps you can try to fix the invalid key issue. Just go through this:-

1. Check the installation CD for damage, such as scratches or cracks.
    2. Replace the installation CD if the installation CD is damaged.
    3. Check the hard disk for damage.
    4. Replace the hard disk if the hard disk is damaged.
    5. Try to install Windows XP again.

Also Verify that the system date is set correctly in the complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings for the computer.

Dr. V Guest

Restart Windows without any extra drivers. This provides a clean installation environment. Also try to install Windows XP at a command prompt. To do so:-

1. Type Drive:\setup.exe at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    2. In this step, Drive is a placeholder for the drive that contains the Windows XP installation CD.
    3. Windows XP Setup starts.

XP CD Keys are designed to work with the specific media they were released with. I.E. an OEM key works with an OEM CD, a retail key works with a Retail CD. Are you sure you are using the same CD that came with the key? If not, try to find another media and try again. Typically this is the issue when I encounter this problem. There is a way to change the media installation type, but it requires burning a new CD, which can be fairly involved for it to remain bootable.