Thread: Error "Stop 0xC0000221" on XP

Error "Stop 0xC0000221" on XP

Hi, i have a very short query here. I am a Windows Xp user and using the same system since long time. It was working fine yet but from last few weeks i dont know whats went wrong to it. Whenever i turn it on, it gives me a error message stating, "Stop 0xC0000221." Sometimes it also says "STATUS IMAGE CHECKSUM MISMATCH."

I don't have any idea about this error, do you? Please let me know how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

Re: Error "Stop 0xC0000221" on XP

Most probably this error occurs when device driver file (.sys) is missing or damaged. Faulty memory hardware can also cause this problem. I have some troubleshooting steps that can be followed to fix this error. Just go through this:-

• Use Recovery Console to replace the missing or damaged driver file.
    • Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start Recovery Console.
    • If your computer is configured for dual booting or multiple booting, select the relevant Windows XP installation.
    • When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      cd windows\system32\drivers
    • To rename the damaged driver file, type the following command, and then press ENTER
      ren drivername.sys drivername.bak
    • To copy the driver from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the Drivers folder, type the following command, and then press ENTER
      copy cd-rom:\i386 drivername
    • Type exit, press ENTER, and then restart the computer.

Many times this error pop ups when there is some problem with the recently added software or hardware on the system. To get out of this error you can also revert back to a previous restore point using the System Restore.

Or else try booting your Windows in the last known good configuration.

In many cases a missing or damaged User32.dll file may be the cause of this issue. In this case Use Recovery Console to replace the corrupted or damaged User32.dll file, then, if needed, perform an in-place upgrade of Windows XP. To do so follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start Recovery Console.
    3. If your computer is configured for dual booting or multiple booting, select the relevant Windows XP installation.
    4. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
    5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      cd windows\system32
    6. To rename the User32.dll file, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      ren user32.dll user32.bak
    7. o expand a new copy of the User32.dll file from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the System32 folder, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      expand cd-rom:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32
    8. Type exit, press ENTER, and then restart the computer.
    9. Thats it !!