Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 19-10-2009

Wrong password or username in Ubuntu during login

Hello, I recently installed a dual boot of XP and Ubuntu on my pc and to be very honest I am very new to Ubuntu. I have smootly installed Ubuntu OS but as soon as I try to login into it, I dont have the correct username or password. Can anyone please tell me how to recover password and username in Ubuntu? Thanks for any help.
Old 19-10-2009

Re: Wrong password or username in Ubuntu during login

At the time of installation you have to set and enter your username and password. However what you could try is enter the below ones and once if you get logged in then first try to create new user account and then log out:

Username: root
Password: linux

If this doesnt work at all then I am afraid that you will have to reinstall and set the username and password again.
Old 19-10-2009

You should be getting the GRUB menu displayed at the time of booting up your machine. After the BIOS checks, you should see "Press ESC to enter GRUB" or something like that. Press Escape, and select "Ubuntu 2.6... (Recovery Mode)". This should boot you into Single User mode, and you now are logged in as root.

Enter the following command: passwd rdmatt

And then continue by entering a new password and then type reboot.
Old 19-10-2009

See suggestions given in similar type of threads: Lost my ubuntu username and password

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,