Thread: NET USE command for Mapping Share Folders in D drive

NET USE command for Mapping Share Folders in D drive

In windows server 2003 i made two partions.On C drive windows is installed and on D drive is free for mapping drive to keep the users their files in it.

NET USE x: \\SERVER_NAME\Sahre Folder Name /PERSISTENT:NO
    NET USE y: \\SERVER_NAME\Sahre Folder Name /PERSISTENT:NO
    NET USE z: \\SERVER_NAME\Sahre Folder Name /PERSISTENT:NO

In this case if the "Sahre Folder Name" is on C drive then it is fine on the client side but what if the "Sahre Folder Name" is on D drive? i.e the D drive (2nd partion is for users files.) where can i write the server drive path in my NET USE command ? If I write my path as " D:\ "I can't see my map drives in my client machineSee the following syntex.

NET USE x: \\SERVER_NAME\Sahre Folder Name\Server Volume /PERSISTENT:NO
    NET USE y: \\SERVER_NAME\Sahre Folder Name\Server Volume /PERSISTENT:NO
    NET USE z: \\SERVER_NAME\Sahre Folder Name\Server Volume /PERSISTENT:NO

2- For writing a VBS please let me know any free software tool in which i can edit/debug it.

thanks

Re: NET USE command for Mapping Share Folders in D drive

The share name is a virtual directory that points at a physical location on your server meaning:

D:\data - shared as "data" would get mapped as \\server_name\data on the client.

D:\moredata - shared as "misc" would get mapped as \\server_name\misc on the client.

The client never sees the physical path, just the share path relative to the server. One more example:

C:\windows - shared as "windowsdir" would get mapped as \\server_name\windowsdir on the client. Although you would not normally want to share your windows folder unless you are restricting access pretty tightly. To view a list of shares available on your server, click Start -> Run and type \\server_name and click OK. A Windows Explorer window will appear showing all network resources available from your particular server.

Sharing is handled by right-clicking the folder you want to share (from the server console) and choosing Sharing and Security from the context menu.

Well thanks again for the reply.Now my Mapp drives are working. well I use GPO for net use. and under
    “ User Configurations ----> Windows Settings----> Scripts (Login/Logoff) “ click on it.

Under Login I write

Login script file “shared_drive.bat” with the following code

net use x: \\server-2.test.local\sales /persistent:no
    net use y: \\server-2.test.local\marketing /persistent:no
    net use z: \\server-2.test.local\accounts /persistent:no

Logoff script file “disconnect_drive.bat” with the following

net use x: \\server-2.test.local\sales /delete
    net use y: \\server-2.test.local\marketing /detele
    net use z: \\server-2.test.local\accounts /delet

I can see the map drives in my client computers.Please let me know any other script for mapping drives at login or logoff time you think to add please must share with me

thanks in advance

Since your server appears to be set up as a domain controller, you can simply place your batch file in \\server-2.test.local\netlogon folder. Then, in Active Directory Users and Computers you can name your logon script on the Profile tab for your users. Also, by using /persistent:no there is no need to delete the mappings as they won't exist the next time the user logs in.

thanks for the reply. Well what do u suggest if we don't delete the mapp drive when the user logoff ? What will be the effect ?

Suppose there are 100 users using windows xp/vista then in thta situation there is need to use delete to mapp drive?

To map drives from the command line, use the Net Use command. Net use is to map a drive letter to a NETWORK share. This would first require you to share the folder you wish to net use to. To connect and disconnect a network drive in Microsoft Windows XP, you can check out the following link.