Thread: Two different hard disk for two different Linux

Two different hard disk for two different Linux

Hello friends, i have a PC with 2 hard disks, Is it possible to use two different hard disk for two different Linux? I have a Windows XP + Linux Mint dual boot on my first hard disk and my second hard disk is empty. I want to install Ubuntu 9.04 on it as i have no continuous free space more then 3GB. Can anyone help me?? Thanks!

Re: Two different hard disk for two different Linux

Yes this is possible but its will become too irritating at times when you are booting. Disconnect the hard disk on which you already have a dual boot. Now install Ubuntu on the other disk. After the installation is finished connect the other hard disk. Now while booting if you want linux mint or XP you have to boot from first hard disk and if you want ubuntu you must boot from second hard disk...

Quote Originally Posted by Patio View Post
    Yes this is possible but its will become too irritating at times when you are booting. Disconnect the hard disk on which you already have a dual boot. Now install Ubuntu on the other disk. After the installation is finished connect the other hard disk. Now while booting if you want linux mint or XP you have to boot from first hard disk and if you want ubuntu you must boot from second hard disk...
    Thats a right procedure. But i would recommend not to disconnect the hard disk physically, disable it from bios or change the hard disk priority would do the trick. Also it is too hectic when boot, so i would suggest you to do a complete re-installation of Windows first then either linux and then the other. This would be better as you can install all the three Os on single hard disk and it will save some space as swap partition can be saved...

This method is not feasible. I would say try this : Leave your current installation as it is, install ubuntu on the second hard disk and just the swap partition of the first disk itself, don't change anything except the partition on which you install ubuntu must be the second hard disk. Now when the installation completes, just reboot and you will see Grub detects all the three OS and has given you the choice to boot.