Thread: Macbook Pro running slowly

Macbook Pro running slowly

Hi,

I have a recently purchased Macbook Pro purchased, running 10.5.8. I'm currently having a problem with my computer running very slowly. Basically the computer takes forever to switch between programs, save open documents etc. Even my internet is also running slow. What sort of things should I look out for as the reasoning for this, and what can I do to fix it?

Re: Macbook Pro running slowly

Check whether your processor is running at full speed. In leopard, at least, go to Preferences, Energy Saver, Options and look at the dropdown box at the bottom called Processor Performance. If not set to "high", you should put that away. This maximizes performance, but also for laptops, which can deplete the battery faster. Note that not all Macs have this setting - my certainly my PowerMac G5 is the tower, but not all Macs do. For Leopard, the preference pane is a little different in this regard, but poke around and make sure it is configured for optimal performance, not optimum battery life.

To make your Macbook Pro, remove unused or unnecessary programs and files. These may be taking up space, memory and resources, thus slowing your computer. Also delete your Cache / temporary files, empty the recycle bin, delete your Internet browsing history, etc.

Defragment the hard drive. Fragmentation severely degrades the speed, performance and reliability of their equipment. Use Registry Cleaner: The Registry contains all information about updates, installs, uninstalls etc. so this should be cleaned. This will optimize and remove redundant or unwanted items.