Thread: What is Virtualization in Ubuntu

What is Virtualization in Ubuntu

Hi,
    I need some information on Virtualization in Ubuntu. My friend is running Ubuntu with Windows XP installed on a Virtual box. How can I do this. I am new in Ubuntu and facing multiple issue with USB drive. I am not able to open the same. If on a temporary basis I can run Windows on it then atleast I can get the data out of it. What are the ways to do this. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is Virtualization in Ubuntu

Virtualization stands for a other operating system like Windows or MAC in your Ubuntu system. It is a better alternative to get multiple features. But the problem is that it need more RAM. Because when you have both on your system then both the operating system consumes a separate amount of memory. You will also need a license copy of Windows XP VirtualBox. VirtualBox is a quicker and easy way to run Virtualization. It is a open source tool and freely available. First you will have to install the pre-requisites. That can be done by following - sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) & sudo apt-get install build-essential dkms. After that install VirtualBox by - sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-guest-utils virtualbox-ose-source command in Terminal. To run the same click on Menu > Utilities > VirtualBox OSE PC virtualization solution.

Dr. V Guest

For virtualization solution you can use either QEMU or KVM on your Ubuntu system. Both are powerful opens source virtual machine. QEMU can be used as a complete virtual machine. The accelerator for the same is available. To install it type the following command in terminal - sudo apt-get install qemu kqemu-common. And if you are using KVM then use - sudo apt-get install kvm.

Xen is also a powerful open source virtualization platform. This also includes QEMU in it. The tool is freely available. It can install automatically in your Ubuntu server system. Second VMWare is also a proper tool for this. Currently you can get two freeware tools under it. First VMWare Player and VMWare Server. VMWare server is used for more broader functions.