Thread: Performance of Windows XP, Vista, 7

Performance of Windows XP, Vista, 7

I have a PC old enough, around 5-6 years.
    - Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Socket 754)
    - Processor: Sempron 3100 +
    - Graphics card: NVidia Geforce 6800NX (128MB video) (AGP 8X)
    - RAM: 2 strips 1GB PC3200, 400MHZ frequency (Samsung brand)

I use the XP PC in the office, surfing the net ... and another thing not resource-intensive, from time to time I play 2 games, old enough guild wars (as in skiing) and counter strike source (medium-high quality, 1024 * 768).

There's a long time I installed vista on this job everything worked perfectly except counter strike source (same settings as in XP), the game was falling FPS at times or there's the "action" or when meeting an enemy. In short I'm back on XP.

Today I just had a complete key of Windows 7, I have not had the opportunity to test but basically what I have heard that it is faster than vista, less greedy more responsive, more "secure" in short, a good operating system.

If I install Windows 7, does the same problem reoccurs as I had with Vista ie drop of FPS counter strike source?

I intend also to install an Athlon XP 2000 + (socket A), GeForce 4 Ti4200 (AGP 4X), 1GB DDR1 PC2700 but only use little greedy applications (office, surfing the net...). You know what?

Re: Performance of Windows XP, Vista, 7

A Sempron or XP2000 works with XP but frankly upgrade to Windows 7 on these PCs is like to give jam to the pigs. Keep your Windows 7 configuration + Recent

The difference between Windows 7 and XP is not obvious standard FPS, it feels much less the difference between XP and Vista. But Windows 7 is much more responsive than Vista with a configuration equal.

AMD 1 GHz with 512MB Ram. It works very acceptable on a very limited config is what convinced me to install Windows 7 on my laptop. I also agree that it may run very well on your configuration, but I am not 100% sure. You will need to test it.

Dr. V Guest

The Windows 7 gives you minimum framerates when compared to XP regardless of the game or DirectX version installed on your computer! According to me Windows Vista and 7 are identical in speed and thus performance.