Thread: Repositories for Ubuntu

Repositories for Ubuntu

Hi,
    I need some information on Repositories for Ubuntu desktop system. I am looking for new Repositories for my Ubuntu. What types of Repositories are currently available. What are the types of Repositories and is there a way by which I can manually add Repositories in my computer. Thanks.

Re: Repositories for Ubuntu

There are multiple software packages and programs which are available for free to download. This repositories are posted on sites so that users can access them from anywhere. These repositories are normally passed on and controlled by the official Kubuntu/Ubuntu developer community. Many software developers maintain there own repositories these are called as third party repositories. This third party repositories can be downloaded and installed directly on your computer.

There are normally 4 major types of repository for Ubuntu. They are divided as main, restricted, universe and multiverse. The main is the major part, the second one comes under the restriction of GPL license, the third is licensed and the fourth one is not licensed but both supported by the users. Some additional repositories are jaunty-updates, jaunty-backports and jaunty-proposed.

Here is some general instruction to add repositories manually in your Ubuntu desktop. But this only for those who are familiar with Ubuntu. If you try to mix more repositories then this can crash your system. First take a backup of your current list by typing this command - sudo cp -i /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list_backup. then edit the list by sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list. The same can be done in GUI mode - gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.