Thread: Need some information on Linux Kernel

Need some information on Linux Kernel

Hi,
    I am currently studying Linux. In my project work I have some doubts related to Linux Kernel. The questions which I am listing below will help out to get more general overview of the application. First I want to know that which platform does Linux kernel supports. Then in the same what hardware is better for it. Then does it supports removable media like USB drives. And can I use more than 3 serial ports on it. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Re: Need some information on Linux Kernel

The best thing about the Linux is that it runs on every type of computer which is made in the last decade. So here you does not need a dedicated hardware system for using Linux. It also run on small PDA and on large servers. It is originally written for Intel based pc but now due to vast usage there are common hardware for it. But as compare to other operating system there are some limitations.

It is not necessary that you have to buy any additional hardware for Linux Kernel. It works on 2MB of RAM with single floppy drive support. So here you can understand that on all machines you can work with Linux. Linux need minimum system requirements. Today new version of Linux works in GUI mode too. See Linux documentation for more information.

In the case of USB Linux has some limitations. Linux supports only few types of USB device. It is better to get proper device drivers. Otherwise the hardware will not work. The list of supported hardware can be get on the official site. You can use more than 3 serial ports but you cannot use simultaneously two ports which share an interrupt. This is actually limitation of the ISA bus architecture.