Thread: How Does Linux Kernel Versioning Work?

How Does Linux Kernel Versioning Work?

Hello , i want to the versioning of the linux kernal can you tell me How Does Linux Kernel Versioning Work? , i mean i really dont understand it , please help me thanks in advance

Re: How Does Linux Kernel Versioning Work?

At any given time, there are several "stable" versions of Linux, and one "development" version. Unlike most proprietary software, older stable versions continue to be supported for as long as there is interest, which is why multiple versions exist.

Linux version numbers follow a longstanding tradition. Each version has three numbers, i.e., X.Y.Z. The "X" is only incremented when a really significant change happens, one that makes software written for one version no longer operate correctly on the other. This happens very rarely -- in Linux's history it has happened exactly once.

The "Y" tells you which development "series" you are in. A stable kernel will always have an even number in this position, while a development kernel will always have an odd number.

The "Z" specifies which exact version of the kernel you have, and it is incremented on every release.

The current stable series is 2.4.x, and the current development series is 2.5.x. However, many people continue to run 2.2.x and even 2.0.x kernels, and they als o continue to receive bugfixes. The development series is the code that the Linu x developers are actively working on, which is always available for public viewing, testing, and even use, although production use is not recommended! This is part of the "open source development" method.

Eventually, the 2.5.x development series will be "sprinkled with holy penguin pee" and become the 2.6.0 kernel and a new stable series will then be established, and a 2.7.x development series begun. Or, if any really major changes happen, it might become 3.0.0 instead, and a 3.1.x series begun.

Re: How Does Linux Kernel Versioning Work?

The version numbers of the kernel are composed of three figures: the first is the major number, the second the minor number. Before the advent of version 2.6.x, the numbers of evens indicated a stable version numbers and odd developement versions , Thus, versions 2.2, 2.4 are stable, versions 2.3 and 2.5 are development versions. However, since the version 2.6 kernel, this model numbering stable / development has been abandoned and therefore there is more meaning to minor numbers even or odd. The third digit indicates a modification which corresponds to bug fixes, security or added functionality, eg 2.2.26, 2.4.30 or 2.6.11.