Thread: ECHILD issue on Linux machine

ECHILD issue on Linux machine

Hi,
    I have problem in my Linux system. The system is returning ECHILD error on a sys call. I am not familiar with such error. The program runs great on other Linux version but the same when moved to my system returns particular error. It is just a test program which according to me must not generate any so called error. What should I do here now.

Re: ECHILD issue on Linux machine

Did the program which you are trying to execute changes the handler for SIGCHILD. If this happens then it is natural that the error will return to your system. This will happen if the SIGCHILd is configured to SIG_IGN. Verify the code before executing the same on your system. Better use strace to see what has happened at the time of call.

Try to check SIGALRM and see weather you can get any flaw in it. This can be the problem behind your issue. Also check all the options under it. A better option will be trying to check SIGCHLD before call and then again after the call. This will put some information on your screen. I see this the only cause of failure behind this.

This problem is common on SMP systems. You can get this error if you have a multi-threaded software on your system and you have not compile it with a multi-threaded O/S library. So the error comes out after the call. The same I had faced in my system where the above condition are applied. You can work around the same by treading ECHILD same as EAGAIN.