Thread: How to install JRE on Ubuntu

How to install JRE on Ubuntu

I have installed Ubuntu along with eclipse on my machine. Recently i had downloaded java.sun from the internet. I was trying to install JRE on my machine, but it doesn't get installed. Can any body tell me that how to install JRE on Ubuntu? Does any body have any idea about it? Let me know the correct way for installing JRE on Ubuntu machine. Would be grateful, if any body provides me the correct way for doing it. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to install JRE on Ubuntu

Java applications are compiled to bytecode, which at runtime is either interpreted or compiled to native machine code for execution. This process requires you to download an executable file that includes all the files needed for the complete installation. You do not need to remain connected to the Internet during the installation. The file can also be copied to a computer that is not connected to the Internet.

First you need to check multiverse repository enabled or not after that open a terminal window. Note - you must have administrative permissions in order to install the Java 2 Runtime Environment. The download page provides the following two choices of installation. Continue based on your choice. Since you are going to be installing the JRE and the web browser plug-in, you’ll be using the following command from a terminal
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

Java, which includes Java Plug-in software and Java Virtual Machine components needed to run Java technology based applets in a web browser. You need to confirm that your system is configured properly for Sun’s JRE. This is a two-step process. First, check that the JRE is properly installed by running the following command from a terminal.
    java -version

rosetaylor Guest

First you need to check multiverse repository enabled or not after that open a terminal....then type following command-:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

Once it downloads the packages and begins the installation, you’ll get a screen that contains the Sun Operating System Distributor License for Java and hit Enter to continue. You’ll see a dialog that asks you if you agree with the DLJ license terms. Select Yes, and hit Enter; the JRE will finish installing.