Thread: Vista boot problems after sp2 install !! plz help

Vista boot problems after sp2 install !! plz help

Hi all,
    iam new in here
    I use Q6600 with dual boot of Vista Ultimate and XP.(use Vista always but)
    Last week i was prompted by Automatic updates to install Service Pack 2 for Vista.
    i accepted and it took more than 1 hour to install, so i just reeboted the system, but when restarted i got the message that
    "Service pack was not installed properly, reverting back .. please do not turn of ur computer".
    after some time the system reboots own its own and then again i get the same message. this goes in a never ending loop.
    Then i thought of repairing or reinstalling in the worst case.
    I set my primary boot device to the DVD Drive, but then again my ill luck continued, my DVD R/W was not taking the Vista boot DVD.

can someone solve this for me, i just want to have Vista back, and since my DVD drive is also not working can i install it from an external Hard Drive .
    i tried to delete some files from XP as per the microsoft tech team, even they suggest a repair or reinstall but then my Drive is not booting up.

please help me out ...

Dr. V Guest

Re: Vista boot problems after sp2 install !! plz help

For that you need to try tapping your F8 key at startup, and from the list of startup selections, you need to select Safe Mode by using UP Arrow Key and then need to click on Enter key. Then you need do a System Restore and after that you need to pick a Restore Point before your problem. For that yoou need to click on Start, select Programs, then need to click on Accessories and then select System Tools and then click on System Restore, then pick a different time and finally click on Next. If that does not work, Use the Vista disc that came with computer, if you did not get one, try to borrow one with the same version of Vista installed on your computer. Now boot to the disc, until you get to where says repair. Click on it should highlight your Vista, click next. If it can it will repair the problem.

Thanks for the reply Dr.V
    but when i login to the safe mode also i get the same screen.
    service pack did not install reverting changes.........

Moreover my DVD Drive is not working good.So that boot technique is not an option for me
    I would like to know if we can make an external hard drive (i have a Maxtor 160 GB HDD) as a boot device, if then howz that.

Thanks

Dr. V Guest

You might want to try putting a different heatsink/fan on the processor. Also you might want to check your RAM. Make sure it is pushed all the way in and clipped. You need to try a system restore or a system repair/upgrade (if you have the proper disk to do so). I'd try the system repair/upgrade option if your disk allows it since that's the most likely way to resolve my problem.