Thread: Backup of external drive to other external drive on Mac

Backup of external drive to other external drive on Mac

Backup of external drive to other external drive on Mac. Is this possible? I have an Intel iMac and two external drives. One is for the Time Machine backup and the other one is which i share with my PC. Can i backup this drive to free some space? I hope you guys help me out...

Re: Backup of external drive to other external drive on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by OS-X-10+ View Post
    Backup of external drive to other external drive on Mac. Is this possible? I have an Intel iMac and two external drives. One is for the Time Machine backup and the other one is which i share with my PC. Can i backup this drive to free some space? I hope you guys help me out...
    You want to backup the drive which is the drive that you share with your PC? That means the file format is not which mac uses. In such case you cannot backup the drive. Time machine needs the drive to be backed up to be a Mac OS Journaled File System [HFS+] and so your drive will not work.

Well, can i delete the backup drive's archived backup? Is it safe to delete the backup? As i dont need the backup that i made previously, i will need only the recent update? Or can i format the drive and then again make a more recent backup so that there is enough space? Can i copy anything to the backup drive? I hope i could do this... Will try it out and post back if there is any problem...

Yes, you can do that, format the drive which backs up your system, then make the backup using time machine to that drive, then manually copy data from the shared drive which you use with your PC to the time machine's backup drive, that would be simple and easy to do then a time machine backup...